I suggest you ...

Do not rotate "landscapish" pictures, just cut the central part of it for portraitish lockscreen

I thought that auto-rotation is cool, but several comments on ovi store tell that autorotation isn't welcome.

Hmm, should there be an option for it?

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminArtem Marchenko (Owner, Artem Services) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminArtem Marchenko (Owner, Artem Services) commented  · 

I started working on the proper caching and scheduling at the moment (to download a set of photos at once so that battery affect would be smaller and scheduling accuracy wouldn't have to depend on connection quality).

However, this portraitish thing seems to be of bigger interest, so I'll do it first. Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure if cutting out the central part out of landscapish image is always a good idea, but we can give it a try at least as an option.

• Anonymous commented  · 

(I'm the first commenter.) Just an update; I have noticed that I really dislike those landscape wallpapers. I actually go and manually change the wallpaper each and every time I don't get a portrait version, which means almost daily. This quite decreases application's usefulness for me.

Otherwise, nice application, thanks :)

• Mikkel Munch Mortensen commented  · 

i'd prefer the image to be same orientation as the rest as well. have you tried out cropping? my guess is that in most cases it will look great anyway. i love how it works now, the wrong rotation is the only thing bugging me.

• AdminArtem Marchenko (Owner, Artem Services) commented  · 

Thing is that most of good wallpapers are shot in landscape way, so in order to show them well, app is rotating the picture. That naturally creates some confusion. One of the options is to forget about rotation and cut out the central part of a picture, at least as an option. I am still thinking about it.

What I did for version 1.0.6 (currently under ovi store QA, should be published in a few days) is that I locked all the app pages in portrait. Then at least you are able to see how exactly the picture will look like when installed.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I don't think an option is needed. The lock screen is portrait only, so I don't see much value in landscape images -- it just doesn't feel intuitive if the background orientation doesn't match content orientation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base